Because of You





My baby blues, your warmest eyes
our hearts were locked, hands intertwined
forever yours, content and safe
My first breath was with you that day
My first laugh to my first crawl
You stayed close to capture it all
A mouth of drool, a wobbly stance
You’d let me fall and I’d find your hands
You guarded me from your newest sting
I felt no rain from under your wings
The void was small when he turned from us
because your love was more than enough

I marched ahead with books to carry
& I had no idea your heart weighed heavy
I learned so much from what they gave
but I learned the most from your ways
I felt so strange and out of place
but it was then that I saw your faith
That example helped my own mature
to something real and something pure
So I sought after God and His will
All focus was fixed, that is, until…

Was I a toddler or was I a teen?
I pitched my fits and kicked and screamed
We seemed to speak two different tongues
and I forgot that you were once young
Butting heads, stubborn fights
I hated that you won each time
Oh the drama, my face in palm
I guess you weren’t like other moms
I broke the rules, I disobeyed
Tried to creep in when it was late
Your furrowed brow, up all night
I greeted my doom when I turned on the light

I’ve heard it said that love is blind
but you were wrong and I was right
He was everything I hoped he’d be
I remember thinking you would see
“This is love, I found my prince”
But he never changed after the kiss…RIBBIT!
So when my heart broke in two
I knew that you had seen right through
Yet I never heard “I told you so”
You just let me cry and held me close

You became much more after 18
Nothing could ever come between
this bond of ours, powerless to bend
I looked to you…my mother, my best friend
You shared your wisdom, I dressed in white
I never saw you smile so bright
This time it’s real, this time I can see
And I couldn’t be happier that you agree
You gave the blessing, gained a new son
You prayed for me and my new love
Your embrace and the all you’ve done
There is no way I could thank you enough

God showed favor when he placed me here
To have a mother who is so dear
I know there is much more to learn
and I can’t wait when it’s my turn
To be a glimpse of what you are
At least I know where I can start
And as I long for that joyful time
to share that warmth with a child of mine
May I always reflect the Jesus you show
Because when she’s here, she’s sure to know
Anything in me that’s strong and true
Are all the things that I found in you.
​​​​​​​​

Comments

  1. That is the most beautiful poem about a mom that I've ever read. Wonderful! Just wonderful, especially the last stance. I only hope that I can be that for my daughters. What an inspiration your mom is. Lynn, fellow poet

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I appreciate your feedback! Thanks for visiting my blog! :)

Popular posts from this blog

Galileo Figaro!

The talent that is AMYLOUWHO.

The Door